Pamela Austin Thompson Emerging Leader Award
The award recognizes an engaged AONL member who exhibits significant potential as a future health care leader and demonstrates exemplary leadership within his or her organization, community and the nursing profession. The award is named for AONL CEO Emeritus Pamela Austin Thompson, who played a pivotal role in AONL’s development of leadership programs for emerging nurse leaders, all aimed at preparing the next generation of nurse leaders to meet future practice needs.
- Must be a full AONL member.
- Has five years of experience or less as a nurse in a formal leadership position and demonstrated exemplary leadership within their organization, community and the nursing profession.
- Exhibits significant potential as a future health care leader and role model to other emerging leaders.
- Participates in an AONL education program, annual conference, advocacy efforts or committee/task force.
- Demonstrates interest in assisting AONL in achieving its objectives, mission, vision and strategic plan.
- Current members of the AONL Board of Directors and/or AONL staff are not eligible.
- Any AONL member may nominate a candidate for the award by submitting a nomination form and supporting documentation for the submission criteria.
- The nomination form should list examples of the nominee’s exemplary leadership within his or her organization, community and the nursing profession, as well as service to AONL.
The AONL Board of Directors selects the recipient of the Pamela Austin Thompson Emerging Leader Award annually. The board will score each nomination application with consideration to conflict of interest through a Likert scale and the noted criteria.
Supports AONL’s mission, vision and strategic objectives.
Is engaged within AONL (e.g. participation within a committee/task force, leadership development program, advocacy efforts, young professional voices, etc.).
Has five years of experience or less as a nurse leader in a formal leadership position (e.g. administrative supervisor, professional development, manager, director, etc.).
Demonstrates exemplary leadership within own organization, community and nursing profession.
Exhibits potential as future leader.
Serves as a role model to other emerging leaders.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE November 28, 2022
NOMINEES NOTIFIED Mid-February, 2023
AWARD PRESENTATION May 1-4, 2023